In June 2012 I set up a writing group at Gainsborough Library in Ipswich, which I ran on a voluntary basis. After a year of leading the group, when I had more members than room to fit them in, one of the participants suggested that I lead groups on a professional basis and in September 2013 I started Arlingtons Writing Group.
(Above: Gainsborough Library Group)
My experience as a volunteer group-leader has proved invaluable. Besides this, I have a degree in English Literature from Kent University and am a trained teacher with ten years’ experience working in schools specialising in English.
I have read widely on the subject of creative writing and have also attended a variety of workshops and writing courses.
I write a range of genres. Here are some of my personal successes:-
- Two plays written for and performed by Avenue Primary School.
- Short stories published in Best and Suffolk Magazine.
- A prize-winning travel article published in The Telegraph.
- First place in a competition to write a short story for adults with special needs.
- A magazine article in Let’s Talk.
- A short story, a recipe and a piece of non-fiction written for primary-age children and published by CGP Publishing.
- One of three winners in a poetry competition run by Norwich: City of Stories.
- I have also written two novels for children age eight to twelve.