From my home in Ipswich, I run a weekly creative writing session on Monday evenings, 7.30-9.30pm. We are currently seeking new group members.
A typical evening
- 20 minutes of sharing work and receiving feedback.
- Group discussion about an aspect of writing, eg. dialogue or planning
- Structured writing activity with feedback.
- Time to write and reflect on your work in progress
Each session costs £10. Tea, coffee, and cakes are included in the price.
To ask for more information, please email email@example.com.
Angry Ghost Competition
For daily writing challenges and to become part of the wider local writing community, you might like to join ‘Suffolk Writers Group’ Facebook site.
I have a degree in English Literature from Kent University, am a trained teacher, and have been running writing groups in Suffolk for the past ten years. I’ve won competitions for short stories, travel writing, and poetry with my work appearing in Best Magazine, Let’s Talk, CGP Publications for schools, Suffolk Magazine, The Telegraph and The Fens.
I recently published my first poetry collection, Thirty Angry Ghosts, which features poems in the voice of William Shakespeare, Pocahontas, Boudicca and Tutankhamen.
Two examples of my work
Short Story in the Fens Magazine.
Comments I’ve received from group members
The feedback and support I received from Suffolk Writers Group was invaluable in my decision to submit my manuscript to agents. I was ultimately successful and my Viking trilogy, beginning with ‘How to Be a Hero’ was published by Macmillan Children’s Books.
Mai is so welcoming and, as a new writer venturing into the unknown, everyone is reassuring, encouraging, and also really constructive.
I wholeheartedly endorse Mai as a tutor. She has taken my writing from a series of official-sounding reports to a fully furnished novel, rich with descriptions and interesting characters. All done with gentle prodding and always a smile.
I joined the Writer’s Group as a way to improve my writing skills. I stayed because the encouragement is fantastic; it has inspired a lot of new ideas and the people are just lovely.
The combination of a friendly group of like-minded people and expert, supportive tuition is just what I needed.
Some Achievements of Group Members
- Cat Weldon has gained a literary agent and secured a three-book deal with Pan MacMillan
- Kelly was a joint runner-up in the Felixstowe Short Story Competition one year and, on another occasion, had a story shortlisted. She also won our concept competition and received very encouraging feedback from literary agent Meg Davis.
- Lesley won two hundred euros and had her travel piece published in The Telegraph.
- Aaron won our synopsis competition to receive feedback on his work from literary Meg Davis
- Megan Musgrove has had several novels published. Click here to take a look.
- William won a competition to be one of Suffolk’s Young Poets of the year and read his work alongside Allan Ahlberg
Cathy Grant had her poem ‘In the Care Home’ featured on Radio Suffolk.